So by now, we’ve learnt that SAP Fiori Transaction Apps can be implemented on SAP HANA database or any database. Whatever the SAP Fiori system landscape may be, the tasks for implementing SAP Fiori Transactional Apps remain the same in all environments. The ABAP frontend server infrastructure is comprised of the central UI component with SAP UI5 control library, SAP Fiori Launchpad and SAP Gateway with OData enablement. The ABAP backend server comprises of business logic, with the frontend components accessing the backend server through a trusted remote function call (RFC).
Here is the overview of configuration steps for implementing Transactional Apps:
- Activate the SAP UI5 component.
- Activate OData services for SAP UI5 applications in the SAP Gateway
- Set up frontend roles and backend roles.
Activating the SAP UI5 Component
The first step during frontend configuration, is to activate Internet Communication Service (ICF) Framework service via transaction code SICF (Activate and Maintain SAP Web Services). The Tcode SICF is used to maintain services for HTTP communication in SAP system using Internet Communication Manager (ICM) and ICF. This is a software layer in application server which provides an ABAP interface for HTTP, HTTPS and SMTP requests. When you first install your new SAP system, standard SAP services may not be active, so you should use transaction code SICF to activate them. When you create a new web service, you may have to activate it before it can be executed, else you may end up with error.
Steps to activate the SAPUI5 application service on ABAP frontend server, are as follows:
- Run the Tcode SICF (Maintain Services) on the frontend server and hit ENTER.
- Enter the Service Name and press F8 button on keyboard or click the EXECUTE button.
- Navigate to the path, DEFAULT_HOST * SAP * BC * UI5_UI5 * SAP.
- Under this node, navigate to the SAPUI5 application for the Create Sales Order app: SD_SO_CRE.
- To activate the SAPUI5 application, right-click on the service and select ACTIVATE SERVICE.
- In the dialog box which appears, click YES (with the hierarchy symbol).
Thus, after activating the ICF service, let’s activate the OData service now!
If you cannot find the service for the SAP Gateway Server (i.e., the ABAP frontend), this means that you haven’t installed the SAP Fiori App UI components. So go back and check out the instructions to installing the UI component.
Activating the OData Services
The SAP Fiori client, ABAP frontend server and ABAP backend server communicate and send OData requests through ABAP frontend server to ABAP backend server by a trusted RFC.
OData is a standardized protocol made over existing HTTP and REST protocols to support Create, Update, Read and Delete operations for creating and consuming data applications programming interfaces (APIs).
Procedure for activating the OData services:
- From the app page (let’s say Create Sales Order) in the apps reference library, copy the TECHNICAL NAME of the OData service from the OData SERVICES section.
- Run transaction /IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE to activate and maintain services on ABAP frontend server and hit Enter.
- On the ACTIVATE AND MAINTAIN SERVICES page, click ADD SERVICE.
- Enter system alias of your backend system.
- In EXTERNAL SYSTEM NAME field, enter the TECHNICAL NAME of the OData service for your app.
- Select the service name in the SELECT BACKEND SERVICES section.
- Now click ADD SELECTED SERVICES.
- Enter the TECHNICAL NAME for the service in your customer namespace.
- Assign/allot a package or click LOCAL OBJECT.
- Click EXECUTE to save the service.
- Once the service is activated, you should receive a popup message which you should confirm. Thus, the service is now activated successfully!
In case, if you want to refer and purchase for a guide or a book on the same, below are some of our personal recommendations that we’ve absolutely loved:
Follow our Blog for more updates and current offers!
[hubspot type=form portal=5934508 id=b37ebdfc-5650-4300-9817-b74e08369d72]
Business Consultation and Business Model
At SAP Expert Solutions, apart from SAP services, we actively indulge ourselves in Business Consultation and improve ourselves for the good too, helping small-scale business to scale-up their business growth and individuals to make extra income!
Thus, we have started an initiative to help some of you, on a regular interval basis. Get our Business Guide on Top Successful Business Models & Ideas, specially designed and curated by our Business Support Team.
The Event Sale Timeline: 1st June 2019 – 1st October 2019
Follow and Stay tuned at SAP Expert Solutions for upcoming events and offers. So, gear up, brace yourselves and get ready for the Business Revolution!